Friday 16 August 2013

A average day in guyana!!!!!

Hey guys

Well normally I blog about the fabulous pioneer paradise and great congregation Im in but this time I thought I would give you a taste of living in guyana.  The average day to day stuff.

So my day normally starts with having to put on my flip flops.  I will explain. At home you wear cosy slippers to keep you warm.  Here I wear flip flops so if I stand on a cockroach or lizard it wont squish on my foot.  Yuck but true.  


So you cant drink anything from the tap.  We have to use filter water.  We buy 5 gallon water bottles.  But you can boil the kettle from tap water but you have to let it boil for a good minute to kill any nasty little parasites.  So most mondays and thursdays I dont do ministry to I clean the apartment and then go to the market.  
So we dont have hoovers here or even a normal brush.  Here guyanese sweep with twigs.  Oh yeah you heard right.  Twigs.  So they are bundled together and tied at the end with string and we have to bend and sweep.  Took some getting used too but now it comes naturally.  Doing dishes you also have to be cautious in using up too much water.  So again a adjustment.  When I went home in the summer I found myself doing the dishes the same way like a muppet.  Hard to change once you get into a routine eh.

So once you buy your lovely fresh fruits and vegetables you cant just eat them as they are.  You have to soak them at least for 20 minutes in either diluted bleach or GSE which is grapefruit seed extract that is a more natural way to kill parasites.  Jens desire when she went home was to drink from the tap and just eat a piece of fruit straight from the shop.  Simple pleasures.

So once you have cleaned the flat with twigs and been to the hot market you need to shower.  So we have no hot water so its good to time a shower once the sun has been hitting the water tank to take the edge off the cold.  Sometimes with the sun the water is actually mega hot.  

Our place has mosquito mesh on all the windows and doors which is great so you can let fresh air in but keep the evil blood suckers out.  But we have alot of tiny lizards in our place. 
 That is the life of south america.  They are only tiny and dont cause any trouble.  But still both our rooms have mosquito nets so you can relax at night not worrying about anything biting you or crawling over you hehehehe.  

Another 3rd world country treat is our regular blackouts.  Usually every 3 or 4 days but sometimes daily depending on the weather and government.  So we have well placed torches.  And all cookers have gas bottles so we can always make a meal.  I was bought a great head torch by my good pals back home so I can get around the place even in the pitch black.  

Our hall has fans on the ceiling which are my lifeline for coping with the heat at the meetings.  But we often have blackout at the meeting.  So they have a battery operated generator and emergency lighting but that means the fans go off.  But our hall has well positioned holes in the walls so the breeze still gets through which is great.  
This is the view of the hall from my place.  You can clearly see how far I have to walk
to get to the meeting hahahaha.  But also you can see the great security hence I feel
so safe even though Im here alone
But that also means the creepy crawlies of guyana also get through so there are often things flying above our heads and also crawling on the floor.   

Well it all adds to the adventure.  But that is the fun of being here.

So now you have a little taste of normal life in guyana.  But from all of the blogs you have read you have seen all of the blessings and joys we receive from the ministry and being with the lovely brothers and sisters in my hall which make all of these little niggles totally manageable.  Its all about adventure here.  

Bye for now 

No comments:

Post a Comment